Sunday, January 9, 2011

Our iPad


Yesterday, Saturday January 8, 2011 the 16GB WiFi iPad arrived. We had secured $630.00 in kind to purchase the devise, which has momentarily depleted our school funds. Immediately, 115 free apps were downloaded: 6 Books, 47 Educational, 9 Entertainment, 34 Games, 2 Health Care, 2 Medical, 13 Music, 3 Productivity, 4 Reference, 1 Social, and 3 Utilities.

As a teacher and a parent my first impressions are alarming. Myself, I am shocked that I have downloaded thirty-seven games. Initially glancing the catalog, I saw about ten games that I liked. However after noticing how internet devise savvy my ten year old student is and playing a couple of more adult games, I caved in on my previous judgments banning gaming.

There are two games that stand out in my mind as points of concern for any real parent. The first is Zombie Crisis. This game changed my mind about downloading and allowing games. I played it and enjoyed it so much, I realized my son may be missing out on development without playing and being allowed to play.

The second game is Grand Theft Auto Chinatown. Holy sacred bovine feces, the first scene seems shocking if one isn't a thug or gotta a baby's daddy in da pen. Yikes. I was scared. Seriously! Nonetheless, after sitting through an excessive amount of artists credits I realized again I was being an idiot. I tried to play it and if my son can drive that game I applaud him. Like anything the effort is practice. Practice. Practice. Practice.

Real parent/teacher talk: my hopes are to not leave my son/student blindly unattended using the devise. I do believe a wise parent must observe closely what and how children are using the internet. I am the only person that can add apps. My son has an email and I have agreed that he can have a facebook.com account. Yes, we have facepad.

My arrangement with him is that he cannot use youtube.com or Google unless he asks permission. The biggest downside of the iPad is having to purchase free apps upgrades. Nonetheless, we are going to budget app funds in our expenses and report/document our findings here. Day one, I am excited because I am not very musical even though I learned to read music as a child. I don't play an instrument. There are thirteen different musical programs/instruments that will give him exposure to sound and making his own noise.

Being of African American decent, there are two free iPad apps that are cultural must haves: Mancala FS5 and SlitDrum. Considering the ease and comfort that iPad accesses using ones fingers, I highly recommend Zombie Crisis as a stress release for anyone. Our home schools intent is to use the iPad devise developing a global entrepreneur. We have joined the ranks of high class holding up the know snobs like Stephan Colbert and Cookie Monster; we're grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment